Thursday, April 22, 2010

Foundations Showcase 2010

Last night was the fifth annual Foundations Showcase, in the art department. Work was displayed from all the foundations classes that has been created throughout the year.

The piece of mine that was displayed was this color drawing. The drawing is a still life like any other, however we had to use not black and white to create the image tbut instead use color. Now with black and white objects it was slightly difficult to achieve this. Using analogous colors and chromatic neutrals we created a piece that depicts the objects and their relative colors. The material used are Prismacolor Nu Pastels, Rembrandt Soft Pastels, and Prismacolor Colored Pencils.


Later in the evening the gave awards to the Freshmen Ten ( ten freshmen who portrayed a certain amount of technical skill, but also a certain level of leadership in class). At the end of the awards I was surprised by the Foundations Coordinator of NIU by an award named after me. I received the John Cheney service award for services and excellence in the school of art.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, John! I was so proud and happy for you! And I love what you did with this drawing. I can't get over the fact that these are pastels! I'm used to pastels being, well, pastels! I like this black and white thing you have going on!

    ReplyDelete